Today’s “Best of 2012” list comes from Danny Native, the badman behind Altered Natives. Releasing his brilliant “Tenement Yard Volume III" this year of EYE4EYE Recordings, Altered Natives has helped shape the sound of UK Bass and beyond. 2012 has been quite the eventful year for Danny.
Here are his top ten moments of 2012:
1. Playing Outlook Festival.
One of the most humbling moments of my career, I was just vibing on stage getting into my set thinking I was playing to the few hundred people that were in the field when I started, then I looked up and saw a thousand faces watching me. (looking at their watches waiting for Bonobo) lol.
2. Remixing Photek. This year I remixed one of my DnB heroes, plus someone who inspired me to keep my drum game tight, if anything Photek inspired my approach to Broken Beat .
3. Strip Search at Pisa. I know it wasn’t funny at first but, I was innocent. And for the record I am not a cocaine user nor would I risk my life to carry drugs through customs. Nor have I ever had my nuts held in the jaws of an Alsation. I’m getting the catchphrase ‘spreada da batttacks’ tattooed, to remind me of my humiliating now humourous trip to Florence.
4. Super Smoke Machine Fail. Playing Love Saves the Night in Bristol and the smoke machine broke and filled the stage and backstage for 10 minutes with thick smoke machine smoke, it was surreal I couldn’t even see the mixer it was like being in the clouds. Dreamy.
5. Changing Hands. Sacked off my DJ booking agency. All my DJ/artists don’t let anyone treat you like you just fell out of the pussy, dictating your status or the shit you’ve achieved. You should be in this because you know your good, not cos f’ker thinks he knows you’re good. Word of advice, have someone act as your agent who really believes in you to represent you, not no flossy little prick who is a wannabee label boss/DJ.
6. Playing America and stuff I had the honour of playing in NY and SF in January with the legend Mosca, who earned the title ‘Stone Bottle King’ in SF after winning a game of ‘who can throw gravel stones in a beer bottle, best of 5, loser drinks the contents’ then he got some Jedi luck after I was like in a 3 stone lead. Fkin Mosca won.
7. Hating Communication. Specifically any communication app that allows you to see whether a message is read and received. Thanks.
9. The World Not Ending in 2012. Mayan internet prophesy, along with Nibiru Planet X, another great romantic extinction disaster that never happened. I do predict though, the Moon will split in two revealing a giant space lizard egg that when hatched will destroy Earth after eating our red sun.
10. Ending the Tenement Yard series. Probably the most refreshing thing I’ve done this year was calling an end to this series. I know it was questionable to a lot of people, but im not about being overly predictable. Plus I left a well received and respected trilogy, to mark my turn in making my style of dirty house music. Its not over but in terms of my creative production I didn’t want to live in a complete 4/4 world.